Sunday, August 26, 2007

Adventures Galore

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been so bad about posting lately. This will be a quick post, but I need to give you the update on mythree phases you've missed:

Eastern European Grand Tour

I took a 10-day vacation adventure across Eastern Europe with my coworker Malgosia and her boyfriend, and it was amazing. We spent 5 days in Montenegro and the rest of the time getting there and back, hitting up:
  • Romania
  • Bulgaria
  • Macedonia
  • Kosovo
  • Montenegro
  • Croatia
  • Bosnia & Herzegovina
  • and Serbia

along the way. Beautiful, beautiful scenery, especially in the Montenegrin town of Kotor where we stayed. Its auto-free old town complete with cobblestone alleyways, limestone buildings, and relaxing sidewalk cafes was a great break from the slightly more bustling Chisinau. Check out the view of I snapped while hiking up an old fortress on the hills above the city.

Last week of work

I finished up my job with the UNDP last week. I need some more time to reflect on my experience, but I'd say my main takeaways are:

  • I'm still really interested in international development

  • I still love the concept of finding ways for the private sector to support the poor and make money at the same time (e.g. sustainable sourcing, marketing products needed by the poor, etc.)

  • I'd like to find ways to work on these issues independently from big, international aid organizations. While working for the UN definitely confers many benefits, I think it might not be for me.

Turkey and Greece!

I met up with my college roommate Katie in Istanbul yesterday, and now we have 10 days to explore Turkey, eventually making our way across some islands over to Athens. When she flies out of there next week, I have 10 more ways to make my way back to Chisinau before flying back to school.

I probably won't be posting much but I'll try to give an update or two. Hope you're all doing well, wherever you are!

3 comments:

ross tanner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ross tanner said...

so in a full conclusion what are your business advantages and disadvantages of working and investing in a non eu eastern european country?

Andrew said...

Hi Caro,

Don't know if you've been there yet, but if not, then the next time you have some days off, go a little up to Bratislava, Prague, Vienna. Very close to Bratislava there's Devin Castle, which is faaaantastic.