Sunday, July 8, 2007

I love being a tourist sometimes

I had one of those relaxing-yet-exhausting tourist weekends checking out Chisinau and some surrounding areas. Highlights included:

Exploring the somber 19th-century cottage of exiled Russian poet Pushkin and then buying a hot bikini in the city’s central open-air market (no joke, though since this is a wholesome, family-friendly blog, I’m including a pic of some nutritious grains instead.)

Paying respects at the monument to Chisinau’s many Jewish “martyrs and victims,” inscribed in Romanian, Russian, and Hebrew – in 1913, 35% of Chisinau was Jewish; today only 3% is. Before WWII, there were over 70 synagogues in Chisinau, each serving a different trade. This one used to be for glassblowers – now it’s the only one left for everyone.

Pretending to command the troops in the midst of an incredible collection of Soviet tanks and fighter planes inherited by Moldova’s armed forces, now on display in a random little park:

Wandering through the city cemetery and its various monuments to fallen soldiers:

Watching spectacular fireworks set to some intense Wagner in honor of 07/07/07 (though I just pretended it was a belated 4th of July celebration…) with my friends Igor and Adrian:

Touring the Cave Monastery with Cristina – carved into a cliff 40km north of Chisinau, these remote caves were dug in the 13th century and inhabited by monks until the 18th. Downside to living here: low ceilings so you don’t forget to bow your head to God. Upside: great views!

Checking out all the cool old religious stuff around the caves. And I unfortunately couldn’t snap a good shot during the tumultuous ride through it, but I swear the neighboring town is Borat’s. Seriously – if I didn’t know that movie was filmed in Romania, I would put money on it.

Returning to Chisinau to get acquainted with my pal Lenin and chill by the lake in one of the city’s many urban oases.

Also, lots of urban wandering, sidewalk-cafĂ© sitting, and park-bench reading, of course. Now that’s a great weekend. :)

2 comments:

Keyvan said...

To your picture with the statue: [in a bad Russian accent] "say hello to Premier Davies!"

Alexei Ghertescu said...

I don't know if you found it. But in Old Orhei there are also marvelous inscriptions carved in the rocks in the Old Slavonic language.

They really impressed me...