Friday, July 6, 2007

A taste of my life

Several of you have asked questions about the minutia of my everyday life in Moldova – which I like, because it gives me an excuse to ramble about the details of my current existence. :) I’ll answer with a few lists. I love making lists.

My fave Moldovan foods - yum!

  • Mamaliga with brinza (Moldovan grits and cheese)
  • Skewers of all varieties (Chicken and veggies, lavash stuffed with cheese, etc.)
  • Fresh Moldovan produce (Amazing)
  • Various broth-based soups
  • “Pancakes” (Crepes stuffed with cheese, fruit, etc.)
  • Brinzici (A candy-bar-ish thing made of a cream-cheese-like sheep cheese coated in chocolate and sometimes filled with jam or other fillings. See pic.)

My hobbies – fun times

  • Self-studying Russian (using a language textbook I created with internet printouts…resourceful, right? Although I did have my first real Russian lesson today, which proved to be somewhat helpful in combating my atrocious pronunciation….)
  • Blogging (Obviously.)
  • Reading (See my reading list, below.)
  • Jogging (With two beautiful parks right by my house, I have no excuse not to.)
  • Exploring Chisinau (I love walking around new cities. And being shown around by new friends.)

My reading list – I came prepared

  • Underworld, Don DeLillo (Halfway done so far. DeLillo’s great.)
  • Lost Province: Adventures in a Moldovan Family, Stephen Henighan (Was not as interesting as it sounds. And a Moldovan friend seemed to find it sort of insulting/unrepresentative of Moldovan life.)
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, JK Rowling (Great plane reading and an important refresher – must prep for the EXCITEMENT that is the final installment debuting in July!)
  • American Pastoral, Philip Roth
  • Beloved, Toni Morrison (If you’re sensing a theme, it’s because several of these are from the NY Times’ “Best American Novels of the Past 25 Years” list. I love modern American fiction.)
  • Kafka on the Shore, Haruki Murakami (One of my fave authors.)
  • Seeing, Jose Saramago (A spontaneous Borders “3 for 2” find. Looks good though.)

Current jogging soundtrack

  • Sweet Escape – Gwen Stefani
  • When You were Young – Killers
  • Fly Away – Tim McGraw
  • Wonderful Day – O.A.R.
  • Irreplaceable – Beyonce
  • Rehab – Amy Winehouse
  • Umbrella – Rihanna, ft. Jay-Z
  • Banditos – Refreshments
  • 19-2000 – Gorillaz
  • Seven – Prince
  • Girlfriend (Spanish) – Avril Lavigne
  • The Chronicles of Life and Death – Good Charlotte
  • La Vie Boheme – Rent Soundtrack
  • My Town – Buck-O-Nine

And that’s my life. Tell me about yours.

3 comments:

Sheena said...

Haha... those Borders "3 for 2" deals probably make up 75% of my reading list.

Jenna L. said...

Since when do you jog? It's like I don't even KNOW you anymore...

Unknown said...

i love how you put little pictures next to everything!

speaking of harry potter...the metreon added a 2:29am showing on opening night...2:29...AM?! don't get it.