Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The warm breeze of Communism....

Q: What’s up with these bad Moldovan ads?

A: As my Moldovan friend explained, advertising is a new industry here – back when the people creating the ads were in school, nowhere taught even basic marketing classes. Just a few decades ago, Moldova was part of the USSR and there wasn’t much need for strategic marketing of any sort, particularly advertising. There was no point – nobody really had a choice of what to buy since everything was centrally planned, so there was no need to extol the virtues of your product. Interesting, right?

On a related note, the other day my Polish officemate was reminiscing about watching TV while growing up in Warsaw. Without fail, the weatherman always reported nasty cold fronts blowing in from the West and wonderful warm air coming over from Russia....

1 comment:

JTapp said...

Hi, since you're on the subject, I came across your blog looking for bloggers in Chisinau. My wife and I are moving there this week for a 5 month internship doing microenterprise development. I'm a little jealous of your internship with the UNDP. Thanks for blogging your observations from Chisinau!